Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The NeoSpeak Chronicles - Using Language to GET YOUR WAY!

It's fun to share and trade Neospeak Snippets - Collect 'em All! Learn these POWER PHRASES and become master of your universe!!!

Using nuances of language to gain ends or at least buy time to come up with something better is as old as language itself.  But it's been on a powerful uptrend since the emergence of instantaneous mass communication, and the turbo-distribution and redistribution potential for content by the Internet has really kicked up the afterburners.

***

I wish to tell you that my Government will continue working every day to find and apply solutions for the issues that most worry you and your family. The goals of transforming Mexico require the effort and commitment of all. We have problems, yes; we are confronting them, and we are going to overcome them and move ahead.” (Mexico President Felipe Calderon, September 2008)

TRANSLATION: I may wish to, but I won't! "My Government is powerless to do anything about the issues that most worry you and your family. You got your troubles, I got mine."

***

Asked on Sunday whether Israeli "intransigence" was putting US "troops' lives at risk", David Axelrod, a senior adviser to Mr Obama, said "that region and that issue is a flare point throughout the region so I'm not going to put it in those terms".  (March 14, 2010)

TRANSLATION: "We all know Jerusalem is a powderkeg and the Israelis are being assholes with these new settlements.  Glad you said it so that I wouldn't have to."

***

President Obama on difficulty passing healthcare 'reform' in the Senate (March 15, 2010):  "I don't know about the politics, but I know what's the right thing to do," he said, nearly shouting as the crowd cheered.

TRANSLATION:  I just re-read Cliff Notes for the Prince.  Machiavelli was right; the ends do justify the means.

***

SF Mayor Gavin Newsom on announced intention to run for Lt. Gubbner and leave Mayor's office early: ""Don't think for a second I'm walking away from San Francisco. Not for a second," Newsom said. "This is my city. I care deeply about it. I'd never walk away from this town."

TRANSLATION:  "Walk?  Man, I'm jettin' before this mess implodes! Besides, the City is going to let me keep that $58K hybrid SUV and all my friends have private jets.  See Ya!"

***

...and some quickies:

"working tirelessly to..."   TRANSLATION - "got nothing. go away."

"doing the people's work..."  TRANSLATION - look at the contraction, and expand it -- "doing the people is work."

No comments:

Post a Comment